Saturday, March 8, 2008

Primary Update, and a new recipe

Fermentation appears to have gone smooth. It actually went exactly how I hoped it would, slow and steady. Bubbles have never reached more than about 1.5/second, and the temp never got over 64 (on the outside) and is currently at 60. Bubbles are around 5 seconds each now. It's been going steady for about 92 hours. Looks like I'll measure my gravity either tomorrow or Monday. Then I'll measure it every 24 hours after that until it's done dropping. Then, it's time for secondary!

I've got a bit of a challenge to rise to as well. My friend Eric, who normally drinks only Michelob Light or Bud Light, has 'requested' a batch. Problem is, I've never brewed a Lager and brewing super clean, dry ales can be tricky. I suppose if I try and duplicate my mash process from the brown ale, and ferment now while the basement is still nice and chilly... Ok, so let's whip up a recipe for Erix Ale, probably to be the simplest recipe I've ever created.

Erix Ale

Grains:
10lbs Maris Otter

Hops:
1oz Sterling 5.3% AA FWH

Yeast:
US-05 yeast

Simple. Won't ever make a simpler beer I bet. Going for a blond ale, and with an Original Gravity of about 1.050, color of about 5.0 srm, and bitterness at about 20 IBU, this fits the style perfectly. This will have more flavor all around than a Macro Lager, which will satisfy me, but at the same time be (hopefully) very clean and dry so as to satisfy Eric. The first batch will just be a proof that I can do it, and I'll leave it on tap at home. The second batch I will bottle for Eric.

No comments: