Friday, August 1, 2008

I can never make up my mind...

Yup, I changed the recipe I was going to brew again. I decided that I need to brew as cheap of a recipe as I could for this next batch, since I don't know if it will end up infected or not... So I've decided to use some of the ingredients I have at home, and about as small an amount of grain as I can use, and design a blonde summer ale. If I'm real lucky, this will ferment out fast and might be ready to be served at my Dad's wedding on the 23rd! I'd still love to take some beer there, even if it's not the Mild ale...

So here's the recipe:

5lbs American 2-Row Malt
2lbs White Wheat Malt
1lb (or more) Honey
1oz East Kent Goldings FWH
1oz East Kent Goldings 0min
S-05 American Ale Yeast

I already had the yeast, honey, and hops. All I had to buy was the grain, and that was only $11.50, so this is nice and cheap for me at the moment. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but if I remember right this was about 1.041-1.045 OG and somewhere around 30 IBU. This is kind of in the English tradition with the wheat malt and East Kent Goldings hops, then I've bastardized it by using American malts, American yeast, and Honey. Should be nice and light.

I'm going to do something new with this batch too, besides just using my new mash tun. I'm going to do my very first step mash! Since I've got wheat in this beer, I want to do a protein rest to break down the proteins in the wheat and hopefully keep this beer crystal clear!

Ok, enough for now. I've got to get me old mash tun modified to be a Hot Liquor Tank, and then get my kitchen cleaned up. Tomorrow's brewday!